Completely In The Canal (CIC) Hearing Aid
The predecessor to Invisible in Canal hearing aids Completely in Canal, or CIC, are the second smallest type of hearing aids. These hearing aids are designed to sit inside the ear canal, with only the faceplate and battery cover visible, rendering them almost invisible for most people. CICs are suitable for those with moderate to severe hearing loss.
As this type of hearing aid sits in the ear canal, it’s important that they’re removed every day to ensure that the ear canal remains healthy.
- Powerful enough for those with severe and profound hearing loss.
- Preserves the natural acoustics of sounds originating from in front or behind the listener.
- Good for using the telephone
- Are available in both wireless and telecoil options from most manufacturers
- May need to be ‘reshelled’ as ear canal cartilage can change shape and size over time, which will necessitate new ear impressions being taken and is not covered by the warranty.
- The omni-directional microphone picks up sounds from all around the listener equally, making it difficult to hear in noisy environments.
- Require more maintenance than other types and can be damaged by wax entering the microphone port.
- The smaller area means that they can be more prone to feedback and echoing.
- Not suitable for everyone’s ear anatomy. Movements such as talking and chewing may cause them to become loose, especially for those with straight, inclined ear canals.
- Custom made to fit your individual ears’ anatomy
- Recommended for all levels of hearing loss
- Almost invisible
What our clients say
Two members of my family have just received excellent advice and treatment at the Chichester Centre.
My husband for ear plugs advice and my 12 year old son, who has been suffering with excessive ear wax building up for the past year or so and being told by GP that can do nothing except keep putting drops in.
Within 15 minutes he had his ears safely unblocked, using micro suction and washing, something the GP said was not available. My son is like a different child and can actually hear again.
Thank You!Mr J Llewellyn – Chichester patient