Behind-The-Ear (BTE) hearing aids
Behind the Ear, or BTE, are the most traditional form of hearing aid. The microphone sits behind the ear and transmits the sound to the ear. This may be by a sound tube, which is acoustic tubing with a customised ear mould, or by a thin tube, which includes an ear dome or micro-mould that sits within the ear canal.
They are extremely powerful and can be fitted with different ear domes and mould so are suitable for all levels of hearing loss.
- The most powerful type of hearing aid.
- Can be fitted with a range of ear moulds and domes to suit every level of hearing loss.
- Dual microphones make it easier to hear in noisy environments.
- Available in both wireless and telecoil options.
- Due to the external location of the microphone, there is a loss of natural acoustics.
- The sound is less clear and natural sounding due to the fact that the sound is transmitted through tubes. This can lead to tube resonances (artificial peaks and troughs of sound).
- The tubes become brittle, affecting the transmission and the quality of sound, which leads to them needing replacing.
- Condensation can build up in the tubing and affect sound. Moisture free tubing is available but this rubbery tubing more likely to slip out of the ear mould and irritate the side of the ear.
- Dead skin can damage the microphone.
- Telephone usage is more difficult, and the telephone needs to be held over the front microphone.
- Suitable for even the most profound hearing loss
- Can be fitted with a range of customised ear moulds or domes
- Dual microphones for better hearing
What our clients say
Two members of my family have just received excellent advice and treatment at the Chichester Centre.
My husband for ear plugs advice and my 12 year old son, who has been suffering with excessive ear wax building up for the past year or so and being told by GP that can do nothing except keep putting drops in.
Within 15 minutes he had his ears safely unblocked, using micro suction and washing, something the GP said was not available. My son is like a different child and can actually hear again.
Thank You!Mr J Llewellyn – Chichester patient